Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Less Than a Week!

After many years of wanting to volunteer abroad I finally started planning my trip to Peru about 8 months ago. I'm pretty sure it began as the beginning of a quarter life-esque crisis of me wanting to do things before I turn 20. Regardless I couldn't be happier that I finally got the guts to go ahead and book my flights! I'm going to be in Lima from June 29th to August 3rd volunteering with the Tarpuy Sonqo orphanage through the International Volunteer HQ placement agency. I'm also hoping my soccer connections follow through so that I can do some work with soccer camps for kids. I decided to venture off to Machu Picchu the second weekend I'm in the country--the adventure should be booked and paid, but it was all done en Espanol, so we shall see. On that note, no I don't know Spanish, and no I haven't started my audio book training yet. The only efficient planning I did was get my vaccines and precautionary antibiotics. (Note: typhoid is a bitch...and servers, keep in mind your tray hand isn't usually your good hand... that was a long night of 4 pint max trays).

I'm currently in Edmonton waiting for my 4th load of laundry to finish so I can decide what to pack to bring to Calgary to re-pack and bring to Peru. And in being bored by the result of my 3 week procrastination I've decided to come up with a list of things to do in Peru.

-drink purple corn beer
-photograph and not eat the skewered guinea pig
-make it to Machu Picchu without altitude sickness or the porter I was too cheap to hire
-play a pick up soccer game
-buy a wooly sweater
-learn how to make a 'home-made soccer ball'
-go clubbing...and safely return to my homestay
-swim in Andean hot springs
-go to church at the Lima Cathedral
-successfully barder in Spanish
-tan on the beach...during Peruvian winter...
-obviously: ride a llama =)

Anyway, this is just a glimpse at my pre-trip stress and excitement I'm going through as I attempt my final shifts at work and run a week of errands in a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment