Saturday, August 7, 2010

So Long, Peru

Our final week was full of mixed emotions. I had my last day at San Antonio where I began to build a really strong connection with the girls. I started bringing my spanish/english dictionary which made it a million times easier to communicate. We finally had a routine to the day: 'doing' my hair...20 times, playing clapping games, playing ball, dancing along to bollywood movies, repeat. the last couple days the children were off for the independence day holiday ( peru's year round school system gives 2 weeks off for the independence day holiday which is officially the 28 and 29 of July) so all 24 of the girls were there all day. It was crazy and slightly overwhelming, but fun and i was grateful to see all of them so much in my last days.
On the holiday we went to cineguilla, basically Lima's banff... the countryside, country clubs offering swimming and horseback riding and most importantly SUN. The prices were higher because of the holiday so we decided to wander to the dry riverbed to catch some sun. Mariah, Dan and Mike went to ride horses with Pablo while alice mary and I got attacked(ish) by a hoard of goats. After they returned from the horses we found a paralyzed dog in the river bed. We think it got hit by a car and wandered as far as it could. They fed it water and leftovers from lunch and eventually were able to buy tranquilizers from a local vet pharmacy to put it down. It was an emotional day, but I'm glad we were able to help the dog. I use we loosely....if you know me, i am very...very afraid of dogs...i don't really know why, but as guilty as I felt, i couldn't contribute much to carrying for the dog. I really wish i couldve, and was also very sad when we put it down...but i would find it easier to skydive than hold a dog :(.
The next day the boys and i went to central Lima...and oh my god was it busy. i really wanted to buy leather sandals and a bag that i had seen a couple weeks earlier, but naturally that shop was one of the ones closed for the holidays. We went to the catacomb museum which wasnt that exciting...but it was like a dollar so, im not complaining. we walked around for a bit and found ahole in teh wall market where i found just what i was looking for but cheaper! we got back just in time for dinner and my roomates were back from their cusco/puno adventure! they got back a day early but the room was still miraculously clean...LOVE the cleaner. friday we hit up the inca markets to buy last minute gifts. then we contemplated going out for a few hours and decided to watch a film instead.
Saturday we managed to FINALLY play a game of soccer. (we could have played friday if michael had the sense to invite us...but no.) we played 11 year olds....and won....barely. i was still satisfied that i had played. Sunday was pretty much all packing and hanging out in the room...which with 4 matresses is actually more comfy than the living room. discovered a bit late, but discovered none teh less. we had sunday night pizza for dinner and linden, lyria, dan, mike and alice all took me to the airport where we indulged in some lovely mcdonaldss fries/ice cream. The airport tax people accepted all my us money that the currency exchange wouldnt, which was a huge success.
I would just like to rant, just for a line or two about the fact that i had to go through customs in houston...Really?? i had to go through us customs and re do security, which meant i didnt have enough time to sit and enjoy my starbucks. which was after i had the emerg exit seat on teh plane and couldnt sleep. ...that is my rant. lesson: only sit in the last emergency exit row...leg room AND a reclining chair.... fml.


Anyway, I'm back now...and in a way it feels like I never left. Maybe because unlike when I went to Europe I didn't come back with a nearly negative bank account and 14 new pairs of shoes. Or maybe because the people at home haven't changed. Or maybe because ultimately it was one month of the 230 some odd months ive lived. which brings me to my next point, and as much as while i was there i kept telling myself, 'do it, you dont know when you'll be back' part of my was also saying 'you can do it tomorrow, youre here for a month' but really a month is not very long. and whats the point of watching pretty little liars somewhere you'll be for one month when you can watch it somewhere where youll spend thousands of months. My only regret wouldbe not travelling more and seeing more of lima. I'm still gathering my thoughts of the 'profound life change' everyone seems to expect i must have had. It seems like everyone expects you to put a finger on it too, and be able to say I now understand_____________ and am more mature in the following ways:______________ but i havent got a bloody clue. I don't know that the trip changed me. I would say though that it provided enough food for thought for a while. The points ive been inspired to ponder so far...because I know you're expecting some sort of cathartic revalation... are these: i loved the orphanage, but i loved pachacutec more, the kids in the orphanage may not have parents, but they are guaranteed everything else-just because children have families that doesnt guarantee that their other needs are satisfied, in fact, in that area it probably means they arent; is it possible that a contributor to the shorter life expectancy in 2nd and 3rd world countries is the lack of safety that comes with low socioeconomic status?--it is too dangerous to run outside, peoples houses arent large enough to fit a home gym even if they could afford it, and gym memberships are out of financial reach for most of the population, on top of that, people need to log so many hours working to pay the bills they dont have time or energy to work out, so maybe its not just the health care system but also the inability to live a healthy lifestyle; simple: be nicer to people who don't speak your language, it is the MOST frustrating situation for them too; "as one person i cannot change the world, but i can change the world for one person" stolen from kait, but necessary to remember when you come to the realization that the likelyhood of even one of the kids we worked with getting adopted is slim to none nevermind finding a home for all of them; i think everyone should travel somewhere far alone. somewhere unknown to them as a traveler. it forces you to meet people and try more things to meet more people. and it lets you be alone with your thoughts--which in my case is borderline dangerous...but interesting to see what your brain finds to be most important when its you and your year-too-old hostel bunk bed mattress half way around the world- i guarantee you'll surprise yourself....
Id say thats enough attempts at being profound and stuff, ultimately i had a fantastic trip, and as cheesy as it sounds it was everything id hoped for and more. Thanks to my Lidia and her family as they hosted me in Lima for the month and helped me get settled and were supportive of my travelling. And also to all the volunteers that were in Lima during the time I was there, you're all part of the amazing experience I had as well as the memories I'll hold for years to come. Specifically my roomates who delt with the stench of my inca trail sweat soaked backpack and sulfer towel for a solid three weeks--in addition to my odd inevitable poke at americans. as expected it birthed a new travel bug into my system--where i venture off to next, i dont know, but i will find sandboarding wherever it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment